A wonderful resource for healthy eating is www.eatingwell.com.
It’s full of gluten free and other special diets, as well as general healthy recipes and advice.
My recommendation is to use organic beef for the following recipe, called Carne Asada Tacos. If that’s too expensive, consider using organic chicken or going veggie with black beans. You can use gluten-free, low-fat sour cream as a topping.
The “heat” you want to use is up to you. There’s no need to use peppers of any kind if they irritate you. Yum, yum, yum! Healthy eating can be delicious. And the portion size for this dish is just right: It makes 8 servings, with 2 tacos constituting a serving.
Carne Asada Tacos
Active Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Nutrition Profile
Low calorie | High fiber | Low saturated fat | Low cholesterol | Low sodium | High potassium | Heart healthy | Healthy weight | Diabetes appropriate | Gluten free |
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds flank or skirt steak, trimmed and cut into 3 equal portions
- 1 pound tomatoes, chopped
- 2-4 fresh jalapeño peppers or serrano chiles, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 ripe but slightly firm avocado, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 16 5- to 6-inch corn or whole-wheat flour tortillas, warmed
- 1/3 cup crumbled Cotija cheese (see Tip) or other shredded cheese
Click here for prep and tips.
Powered by Facebook Comments